Data Normalization & Working with Views

From: Chris <ctaliercio_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2005 13:42:28 -0700

I'm working with ORacle 10g on HP-UX 11i. I am relatively new to data normalization (the previous database I was working with was a complete nightmare of replicated information) and working with views, so please bear with my ignorance here.

If you have two tables:

FIRSTNAME (
ID INTEGER,
NAME VARCHAR2(10),

LASTNAME_ID INTEGER )      -+

and |

LASTNAME ( | ID INTEGER, -+

NAME VARCHAR2(10) ) Where FIRSTNAME has a foreign key relationship established with LASTNAME based on ID.

And you define the following view:

v_NAMES (
  SELECT

     FIRSTNAME.NAME,
     LASTNAME.NAME
  FROM
     FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME
  WHERE
     FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME_ID = LASTNAME.ID )

How do you go about inserting new records into the view.

Suppose I want to put "John Doe" into the view.

I'm wondering how one goes about this from a programming standpoint. Obviously this is a very simplified/quickly thrown together example, but I'm looking to understand the basic concept here.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Received on Fri Jun 03 2005 - 15:42:28 CDT