conflicting versions of regsvr32

From: <hamerb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2005 09:28:41 -0700

We have a product that requires an Oracle client to run, currently we are shipping Oracle 8.0.5.

when this is installed oracle will prepend it self to the path, placing the oracle directory in front of the %WINDIR%\system32 folder. This in it self isn't a problem, the problem comes w/ the fact that this version of oracle ships a buggy version of regsvr32.exe . I believe it is version 4.0, and the current version that comes on XP sp2 is 5.1.2600.2180 (at least that is what I've got.)

I'm working on an installer and the installer grabs the version from Oracle, not the one in the system folder. All in all this has been a tedious bug to track down due to the behavior of the regsvr32 that oracle ships. One of the bugs is that it always succeeds, no really, it does. Try it, run "regsvr32 foobar.dll" and echo the return code. it will return a 0 like everything worked fine.

So I was wondering if I could just delete this file from oracle. This would solve our problem, and prevent a whole list of tiny problems w/ our customers.

I wonder is anyone has dealt w/ this before, and knows if this workaround will interfere w/ oracle. Received on Wed Jun 01 2005 - 11:28:41 CDT