Re: Mutliple calls to an ASP page which executes an Oracle Stored Procedure. Sessions blending causing errors.

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:22:50 +0100

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:38:16 -0400, bsc7080mqc_at_mylxhq.com wrote:

>In summary, we need a means to call an Oracle Stored Procedure multiple times including sequential and parallel executions, but
>maintain separate transactions. There should never be an occassion where the local varibles of one transaction blend over to the
>other.

 It seems to me the main point to clarify is what you term "local variables of one transaction".

 If you are setting package variables, and relying on them between separate calls, then yes I'd expect this behaviour under certain circumstances, since connection pooling will be running the statements through a shared set of sessions. The scope of package variables is effectively "per session" not "per transaction".

 Is the process happening across multiple pages? If so then that would seem to result in this behaviour if you're relying on package variables. If it's on the same page, though, I'd expect you'd have exclusive access to the session for the duration of the request. This is at least how it works in PHP with persistent connections - I haven't worked with ASP for a while now, but if it mixed statements in the same session then that would be a severe bug since it'll mix up transactions - but it'd be such a huge bug it'd be surprising.

--
Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool