Re: Row values changing back to old values randomly???

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:20:31 -0700

DG wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>> Yes, that's probably what I will do. I will install good old
>>> PostgreSQL and forget about Oracle.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your attention,
>>>
>>> David
>>

>> So because someone volunteering their time for free won't do what your
>> DBA is paid to do you are going to change RDBMS products. Do you bring
>> the same level of professionalism to your other endeavours?
>>
>> The fact that your DBA doesn't consider it worth his or her time gives
>> a good indication of the importance of what you are doing. The fact that
>> you can't talk to your own management gives a pretty good indication of
>> the importance of what you are doing. If they won't give you the time of
>> day why should we? But do remember that PostgreSQL is not Sarbanes-Oxley
>> compiant so use it with care. Otherwise the Feds may have a few
>> questions.

> Ok, can I first suggest that we cut the buying/selling/professionalism
> stuff and stay on the technical side because you got the situation
> totally wrong.
>
> <situation>
> First it's the customer's DBA who just went earlier home on Friday, but
> his financial department wants to run our product on Monday. So, because
> the customer's DBA wont support us on *his* DB, our options are limited
> to either do his work or to install another DB for ourselves. So that's
> the situation. And we are not in the U.S. so let's forget about the Feds
> & Co. - I don't even know what Serbian-Ox is, and neither do I care -
> the DB just has to run as expected, and the mentioned option has proven
> itself as reliable numerous times.
> </situation>
>
> So back to the technical side. I though about transaction isolation
> levels. Is it possible that the database is configured to "READ
> UNCOMMITED" isolation level by default? This would mean that the TOAD is
> really showing data which hasn't been committed yet. Later the session
> disconnects and the data is converted back.
>
> Thanks, David

There are truly only three possibilities.

  1. There is no commit and you don't realize it.
  2. The commit is failing and your understanding of the Oracle transaction model is so weak you don't understand how to interpret what you are seeing or your code doesn't trap for the failure.
  3. The commit is succeeding and you have a problem with caching on the application server or in your application.

I don't mean to be negative, irritating and/or rude but truly your comment above indicates a complete lack of knowledge of the Oracle transaction model so any one of the three is possible.

What is absolutely impossible is that a commit is succeeding and the change is being rolled back by the database on its own.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org