Re: Row values changing back to old values randomly???

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:51:36 -0700

DG wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Has anyone every seen the following behavior?
>
> Oracle 9.? running on AIX, no problems here Windows NT machine,
> Oracle client installed on the NT machine with ODBC driver v 9.2.0.2
>
> We have set up an ODBC source on the NT machine. An application (app
> server) opens a connection pool with e.g. 4 read connections and 4 write
> connections.
>
> An application changes e.g. two rows in two different tables and commits.
>
> The changed data is visible in TOAD from another machine.
>
> After about 2 minutes, the data is reverted back to old values without
> any activity from the app server whatsoever.
>
> How is this possible? Note, this is definitely not a bug in the app
> server code because the app runs without problems on 3 other Oracle
> database installations and on many many other installations using
> PostgreSQL, SQL Server and DB2. The app doesn't even know what the old
> row values were!
>
> Has anyone ever see something like this happening and how to solve it?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> David

Never seen it before and it isn't possible: At least not as some magical Oracle capability.

When the "old" value shows up again in the application what does SQL*Plus (or TOAD) show at that very same point-in-time? How many schemas are involved?

What app server? Is it caching anything? What happens if you flush the cache?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Relational theory is not something that is simply a nice-to-have.