Re: "WITH" statements and ADO...

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 13:49:41 GMT

On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:02:16 -0700, deanbrown3d interested us by writing:

> Well that is one idea, and a good one. But I would like to be able to
> build up SQL strings in the code at will, and not create views (its a
> big thing for us to get anything like a view created).

Strong suggestion: keep the 'build SQL strings at will' code style to a minimum.

Most techniques for building strings dynamically are seriously anti-scalable and often perform very poorly in an Oracle environment. It's best to avoid the bulk of dynamic, redundantly hard-parsed SQL.

Read Tom Kyte's book 'Effective Oracle by Design' for a detailed explanation, especially in the area of "bind variables".

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com