Re: [Newbie] Oracle

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:46:32 -0400

Mark Bole wrote:

> HansF wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:25:43 -0700, DJP interested us by writing:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had a n00b question about Oracle.[...]
>>

>> Somewhat similar to automotives:  you can be a city driver, a race car
>> driver, a mechanic, an engine performance engineer, etc. etc. ad nauseum
>>
>> With Oracle, you can be: a data entry clerk; an Excel or Access aware
>> super user (who will never understand why things don't work the same in
>> Oracle as in Access); a 'SQL' programmer; an typical Oracle app
>> programmer; a good Oracle app programer; a typical DBA; an Oracle DBA; a
>> JOAT.
>>

> [...]
>
> I eagerly looked up JOAT at acronymfinder.com, hoping to find a new,
> cool beans, alternative to JAPH. ;-)
>
> Hmm, well I haven't been using Oracle since 1984 but consider myself a
> JOAT and MOS (master of several). For a newbie, I think referring to
> 55.000 pages of documentation is somewhat off-putting -- I would refer
> them instead to "2-Day DBA" for a first taste.
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10742/toc.htm

They should first read the concepts manual. Kind of like freshman calculus, if they make it thru that, they might just be worthwhile after more years of training.

(Me? I'm just a hopefully competent programmer that is always learning something new in ORACLE.)

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/