Re: Issue with creating tables

From: <laszlo_spamhole_at_freemail.hu>
Date: 24 May 2005 05:54:53 -0700

andre..._at_onetel.com wrote:
> laszlo_spamh..._at_freemail.hu wrote:
> > andrewst_at_onetel.com wrote:
> > > Mayeb you want a GLOBAL TEMPORARY table?
> >
> > Since creating the search tables takes a fair amount of time and
the
> > graph is fairly non-volatile, I don't want to have to re-generate
the
> > search tables every session.
> >
> > I actually (kind of) solved the problem by generating dummy search
> > tables manually... this allowed my package to compile, and the
> creator
> > procedure then did what it was supposed to (find the table, drop
it,
> > and re-create it with all the necessary data). But while this
_does_
> > work (as long as nobody drops my tables), it's not exactly the most
> > elegant solution.
>
> So why do you need to drop and re-create the tables each time? Do
you
> generate a different set of columns each time?

No, the columns are always the same, but occasionally (pretty rarely), the entire set of data changes. The table isn't dropped and recreated each time, just occasionally.

Hmm... actually, I think I see your point. I'm not sure why I'm dropping the table instead of doing a DELETE FROM, when the data needs to be recreated from scratch.

Thanks for the speedy assistance! I appreciate it :)

Laszlo Received on Tue May 24 2005 - 07:54:53 CDT