Re: 3 dimensional Oracle database

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:32:38 -0700

John F. Regus wrote:

> But I don't see how to retrieve what would be a subscripted row/column
> intersection.

The simplistic answer is that in a relational database you cannot.

However, I am 100% sure you can model what you actually want to do in a relational database.

Can you try to describe the problem you are trying to solve at the business level, because I am sure there are viable solutions other than the percieved need for a subscripted row/column intersection.

What is wrong with the table definition you have been given so far ? It seems to me that it does everything you need for the problem so far described.

CREATE TABLE RAW_SOURCE (

SUBJECT_ID            VARCHAR2(255),
DATE_TIME_CREATED     DATE,
SOURCE_TYPE           VARCHAR2(31),

-- where SOURCE_TYPE indicates TYPE of data; doc, txt, audio, bmp, etc. -- ADD ANY OTHER COLUMNS DEEMED USEFUL & NECESSARY SOURCE_DATA BLOB); Received on Sun May 22 2005 - 21:32:38 CDT