Re: 3 dimensional Oracle database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:02:01 +0200

John F. Regus wrote:
> Back to HansF question on what type of data and what am I trying to do that
> requires a 3-d database:
>
> I want to design a 3-D database which the cells are arrayed with data from
> different sources (1st reason for the 3-d
> structure). It is present and historical and can be duplicate information
> if the data came from a different sources, specifically data warehouses at
> different locations which collect information on the same subject but in
> different formats as noted below. The 2nd reason for 3-dimensions it can
> also be data that is either alphameric, .jpeg (any picture format), .wav (or
> any audio/video format), but in the end all of the data concerns a explicit
> and specific subject (3d reason for three dimensions).

NAME the three dimensions you think you see - I have seen none.

Cells arrayed with data from different sources: 1 dimension, not three. Data being alphanumeric, or binary (there's no difference in video or sound!): 1 dimension.
Data belonging to explicit and specific subjects (explain the difference!): 1 dimension.

What cannot be solved in a (flat! 1 dimensional!) table with a structure like:
Key Indicator | Subject | Data Type | Data

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel