Re: reset a sequence in a trigger

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:18:38 +0200

Werner Hofmann wrote:

> In this table I have a lot of transactions, and it can be, that the ID which
> is the primary key can overrun after some time (some years). I can not use
> another primary key, because this would be with a VARCHAR2 column. And so I
> wantet to be save, that the oldest entry have the smallest ID for sorting.

Let's do the math:
Let's take a number (actually, number(38,*)) as ID column.

Largest number to be recorded would be 10^39 - 1 (38 nines) Suppose you machine does "a lot of transactions": 1 million per day. 365 days a year, year-in, year-out.
That's 365,000,000 transactions a year.
that will take you 10^38/3.65*10^8, ehhhmmm about 3*10^30 years to fill up your sequence.

By that time, the sun has grown so large, the earth is no more.

If you don't like the example, take a gazillion-way cluster, and chew away 1 billion transactions (1000 times as much) per second (86400 times as much). No way you are going to fill up your sequence (well, about 86 million times as fast) in your liftime.

Unless I'm mistaken (and my math isn't what it used to be): bullocks!

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel