Re: A question about UPDATE. How smart is oracle

From: Ole Hansen <ohahaahr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 May 2005 22:06:10 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:<1116289007.827852_at_yasure>...

> Run EXPLAIN PLAN and/or AUTOTRACE. A DBA where you work will no
> doubt smile when you ask for help doing this as most DBAs despise
> developers that don't do this on every SQL statement they write.

Hi !

Unfortunately we don't have an internal DBA in our company. We use an external oracle-consultant. And everytime i have to call him, i have to pay :-)

Our oracle database is quite small (20 Gb), and the application using it is Microsoft Business solutions XAL (Formerly known as Navision XAL or Concorde XAL)

XAL has its own query language (eXtended Application Language - XAL), so therefore it's not nessesary to have an internal DBA or SQL-programmer.

BUT - sometimes the XAL query language is to slow for our queries, and then we are forced to use SQL. There are also some other limitations in the XAL-language.

I have been an XAL-programmer for 10 years, but i am quite new to SQL, so therefore i sometime posts theese newbie-questions.

(This should also clear the misunderstanding of me beeing a student, who don't want to do his homework himself. I graduated many years ago :-))

I am not shure how to make an explain plan. I have recently purchased TOAD, but i am not sure, if i can make an explain plan there.

Perhaps someone can help ?

Regards,

Ole Received on Fri May 20 2005 - 00:06:10 CDT