Re: Table Design In General

From: Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:22:23 +0100

"Chris" <ctaliercio_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am a programmer with extensive exposure working with Oracle
>databases. However, up until now, I have been working with databases
>that were either designed without my input, or for other applications.
>This is my first forray into the actual design of the database.
>
>I have been doing some reading and am just starting to grasp the
>concept of using a "dumb" primary key in combination with a unique key.
>I understand the theory, but am not 100% sure on the practice.
>
>How does one go about working with tables that are linked via "dumb"
>keys? Is the best practice to create a View that gives you all the data
>you need to see, and edit it accordingly?
>
>As a newbie to this process, I appreciate any time you may take to
>respond. If you can point me to any online literature that would also
>be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,

In some ways your questions can only be answered by years of experience. But, for your enjoyment, a potted version of what you need to know is here - I agree with most of what the author says.

Database Design for Programmers
Most programmers are not DBA's, but are often thrust into the role of one. This article is a crash course in being and should help you avoid common mistakes. Full Article

URL of full article

http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/Articles/DBDesign/index.iwp

You are young, glasshoppah, but you will learn...

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.2.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, As a courtesy to those who spend
time analyzing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.