Re: Automated file loading

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 May 2005 15:02:39 -0700

Nothing wrong with using cron, ksh and SQL*Loader. I like using awk if I need to manipulate the file contents, like if I need to put some sort of primary key field such as the filename in the front of the file contents.

For example, I have some scripts that do a bunch of stuff like massage a skeleton controlfile for the current data, then:

sqlldr userid=$lschemapassword log=load_cgp$$ control=load_cgp$$.ctl silent=all

Where $lschmapassword is the username/password.

Also remember you can use hereis files on sqlplus, as well as things like:

echo "$lschemapassword
insert into xyz_table (year, period, created) values ($year,$per,sysdate);
" | sqlplus -s > /dev/null

It's not really difficult to do with PL/SQL (poke about on asktom.oracle.com for some ideas, and probably on orafaq.com); some would argue that would enhance your Oracle marketability.

But I'm a unix bigot and find that cron/ksh is simpler, faster and bulletproof (except when sam blows away the crontab because someone manually commented out a sambackup <sigh>).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Big Brother is boring.