Re: Creating materialized view on remote database

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:41:36 +0200

HJ wrote:
> I did look up the semantics and I only saw examples of the dblink being
> references in the query. But I was looking at an Oracle manual, and I
> was hoping someone had figured a way to push the materalized view from
> the local database to the remote database. We want to maintain full
> control of the mv scripts, so that the users on the other end will only
> get the views.
>
> Yes, I am creating them on the fly -- for now. Why? Is that
> problematic?
>
> -- HJ

Like Daniel said - you should not. Whether it's a huge problem, I don't know - it sure points into that direction.

Mostly, it is due to a missing (or incomplete) data model, probably due to misunderstanding of the problem at hand.

Not saying this is the case here, I can only speak from past, private experience.
And, eehhhh, this is Oracle. Not SQL Server, dBaseIV, or Foxbase. Just create the MV's, grant select to the end users, and do not give the end users 'create (any) materialized view' privilege. Refresh full, if you do not trust the data.

In short - get to understand the product.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel