Re: Can one create a type (domain) and see it in the OEM type dropdown lists?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 21:37:36 -0700

deanbrown3d wrote:
> Yes, I think they are called domains, or types that we can declare. I
> have never used them.
>
> The thing is out clients are very few, and they each want the software
> customized to their own rules and regulations. And the one that only
> requires 6 character doesn't want to make this a 12 character field. Ok
> maybe we can talk them into it, but if we can create a domain for each
> client and customize it with one click, why not?
>
> Dean

Why? Why does the one that only requires 6 characters care? Unless you can answer that question my impression is that their desire is purely arbitrary and lacking in value worthy of consideration.

You can certainly create a different domain for every client. In fact if you are either charging a huge amount of money for your product or have a desire to go bankrupt you can do any silly thing you wish. But do appreciate that you are defining the relationship with this decision. And if you define the relationship as "every piece of software can and will be customized to the customer's specs" then you had better plan on having custom source code for every single installation. Now and forever. Which should make upgrades and patches a real gem.

Personally I'd tell the customer to lump it or pay for it. And it would cost a lot as it would impact things forever-more. And exactly what is the difference between a VARCHAR2(6) and a VARCHAR2(12) with a simple check-constraint added if they want to make it impossible to add more than 6 bytes?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington