Re: Can one create a type (domain) and see it in the OEM type dropdown lists?

From: Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 13:28:55 GMT

On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:22:44 GMT, Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:06:04 -0700, DA Morgan
><damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>
>>deanbrown3d wrote:
>
>>Use VARCHAR2(12). There is no valid reason for anyone to want to use
>>VARCHAR2(6) in preference to (12) if you are the vendor. And in Oracle
>>NEVER use VARCHAR unless you are writing C.
>
>Just for my own info, why use VARCHAR with C? I never use VARCHAR at
>all. I haven't heard that before but I don't do much Pro*C.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lewis

I thought I had remembered that VARCHAR was currently the same as VARCHAR2 but I also thought that something might have changed recently. This is from the 10g SQL reference:

VARCHAR Datatype
The VARCHAR datatype is currently synonymous with the VARCHAR2 datatype. Oracle recommends that you use VARCHAR2 rather than VARCHAR. In future releases, VARCHAR might be defined as a separate datatype used for variable-length character strings compared with different comparison semantics.

And here is the entry from the v7 SQL reference manual:

VARCHAR Datatype
The VARCHAR datatype is currently synonymous with the VARCHAR2 datatype. It is recommended that you use VARCHAR2 rather than VARCHAR. In a future version of Oracle7, VARCHAR might be a separate datatype used for variable length character strings compared with different comparison semantics.

Is there something in the C libraries or something that makes it different?

Thanks,

Lewis

Lewis R Cunningham

Author, ItToolBox Blog: An Expert's Guide to Oracle http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/