Re: Storage parameters

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:30:25 GMT

"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message news:1115321479.225708.38930_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> For Dictionary managed tablespace using initial = next with pctincrease
> =0 is a good plan providing you can move the very large and very small
> objects into tablespaces designed to hold object for the extent size
> chosen.
>
> Being that you are going to migrate the data to a new tablespace in two
> months I would not go to alot of work now resizing everything but would
> instead just verify each object has a realistic next extent size and
> proper setting of pctincrease, that is 0. The exception is if by
> reloacting and resizing objects now you would be getting the object
> ready for how you intend to store it on the new database.
>
> Locally managed tablespaces are very nice. I like uniform extents
> especially for large objects. We divided all our tables/indexes into
> small and large and built the correct number of tablespaces to hold
> eveything with room to grow. Space management consists of counting the
> number of free exents left in the tablespaces every week.
>
> We use autoallocate for a couple of tablespace that house vendor
> products that lump everything into one tablespace.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

The tables will definitely be migrated to a different database with LMTs in the future (not too distant). What I need to understand now, however, is what the initial, next and pctincrease settings that I make now will matter then. Do they become totally irrelevant in the LMT, or just less sifnificant?

This is what I read in the docs:
"When you allocate a locally managed tablespace, you cannot specify default storage parameters or minimum extent size. If AUTOALLOCATE is specified, the tablespace is system managed with the smallest extent size being 64K. If UNIFORM SIZE is specified, then the tablespace is managed with uniform size extents of the specified SIZE. The default SIZE is 1M. When you allocate segments in a locally managed tablespace, the storage clause is interpreted differently than for dictionary-managed tablespaces. When an object is created in a locally managed tablespace, Oracle uses its INITIAL, NEXT, and MINEXTENTS parameters to calculate the initial size of the object's segment."

I'm having trouble grasping the difference between autoallocate and uniform size, other than the default sizes. It seems to be saying that with autoallocate it sets the initial and next both to 64K. How is that different from setting both to 64K with a dictionary managed tablespace? (pctincrease to 0)

 Further, how does it manage extents on tables that are migrated into it with imp? Those tables already have initial and next settings, do those get used or are they discarded?

I'm sure these questions are answered in the docs but I'll be darned if I can find them. Received on Thu May 05 2005 - 19:30:25 CDT