Oracle reports performance 10g--Tips welcomed!!

From: Piyush <piyush_parmar_at_calpers.ca.gov>
Date: 5 May 2005 12:43:58 -0700

Hi everyone,

I hope someone out there can provide some tips or insight into this issue.

I am executing performance testing on certain reports for my work. This report is 4 pages with a total of 7 line graphs. Now I realize there are multiple issues here, underlying SQL, report server config, hardware, # CPUs, RAM, etc...

my test server is a windows 2000 server, 3 GB Ram, 1 2.4GHz CPU. all allocated to a VMWare image running the app server/report server. The reports server has the default config except I changed the initEngine to 4, maxEngine to 6, and minEngine to 1. There are 4 users concurrently running reports by invoking a URL via a JSP page.

Most rdf reports that are run come back between 10 to 20 seconds. but this report takes 20 to 70 seconds. I followed the reports tuning section in the documentation. The only thing I can't do at this point is replace my rdf with rep files (long story). The trace file seems to indicate a the vast majority of time (>65%) dedicated to processing images. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that or is there?? btw, the SQL takes about 100 milliseconds when I run it in TOAD. Their white paper on scalability tests a windows box with 1 GB RAM and 1 866MHz CPU and it shows it can scale up to hundreds of users with response time less than 10 seconds! Base on my config above, I should be spitting these reports out in no time! They did not show the report that was being executed. If I created a text only report and kept retrieving from cache then it would be blazing fast also. but that's not the real world scenario for me.

I guess long story short...is there anything I can do to quicken the response time via the reports or reports config or is it just a matter of getting more hardware resources? Received on Thu May 05 2005 - 14:43:58 CDT