Storage parameters

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 18:26:04 GMT

I have responsibility for a database which I've inherited. I've discovered some peculiar settings for some storage parameters. (An application recently crashed because a very small table had the next_extent set to 1024MB, in a 500MB tablespace)

The database is 8.1.7.4, not very large and has dictionary managed tablespaces. In a few months I will be upgrading it to 9.2.0.x and setting locally managed tablespaces. In the meantime, I plan to recreate a number of tables with new storage clause parameters. "Expert One-On-One Oracle" recommends making all of the objects the same within a tablespace, initial_extent and next_extent the same and 0 pctincrease.

I'm looking for guidance for setting the sizes, considering that these will be migrated to the new database in a few months. Is that even a factor? Should I simply pick an initial_extent that will cause 80% of the tables to fit in 1 extent? Does it matter if some of the tables will require 20 t0 30 extents? Is there some sort of rule of thumb? Received on Thu May 05 2005 - 13:26:04 CDT