How to free empty_blocks

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 04:26:45 GMT

I don't know what I am doing. I've spent hours reading the docs and "Expert One-On-One Oracle" but can't figure it out. Can someone tell me what I need to do to free up those empty_blocks?

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

SQL> SQL> truncate table regclass_tmp drop storage; Table truncated.

SQL> alter table regclass_tmp deallocate unused; Table altered.

SQL> alter tablespace users coalesce;
Tablespace altered.

SQL> analyze table regclass_tmp compute statistics; Table analyzed.

SQL> SELECT initial_extent,next_extent,blocks,empty_blocks,pct_increase   2 FROM dba_tables
  3 WHERE table_name ='REGCLASS_TMP';
INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT BLOCKS EMPTY_BLOCKS PCT_INCREASE -------------- ----------- ---------- ------------ ------------

       6389760 2097152 0 1039 0

SQL> Received on Wed May 04 2005 - 23:26:45 CDT