Re: Oracle's query parameter syntax equivalent to @ in SQL's

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 3 May 2005 16:05:42 -0800

sunny076_at_yahoo.com wrote:
: Hi,

: I am new to Oracle and wonder if anyone can enlighten me. I am looking
: for the syntax for parameter equivalent to @ in SQL, for example, in
: "SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEES WHERE EmpID = @EmpID".

Three possibilities, not sure which corresponds

-1- within sqlplus and some other places you can have textual substitution
variables, typically using the & . syntax

	sql> define wanted="what ever is wanted"
	sql> select * from emp where empid = &wanted. ;

parameters to sqlplus scripts are accessed as &1 &2 &3 etc

        sql> select * from emp where empid = &1. ;

-2- variables maintained by the database and referenced from sql are
called bind variables, and use the : syntax

        select * from emp where empid = :wanted

you may see them within sqlplus or within pl/sql code in some other places

-3- pl/sql variables are programming language variables which are
integrated into the sql syntax within pl/sql code, they do not use any special syntax, and are recognized by the context

        select something into my_var1 from emp where empid = my_var2;

--

This space not for rent. Received on Tue May 03 2005 - 19:05:42 CDT