Re: SQL question

From: Andreas Mosmann <keineemails_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 16:58:14 +0200

deanbrown3d schrieb am 03.05.2005 in
<1115127879.813395.277140_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

> Suppose I have a table A that has a field PARENT_SEQ_I that is a FK
> onto the same table field SEQ_I.

> Also, suppose that the parent record in the 'group' has PARENT_SEQ_I
> set to point to its own SEQ_I.

> Can I "delete from A where PARENT_SEQ_I = x"?

> The question is, if the parent record is deleted first, then the FK
> constraints on the other records will throw an error. However, if the
> child records that point to the parent are deleted first, and THEN the
> parent is deleted, all will be ok. So, will it fail sometimes if I let
> oracle randomly choose the order of things to delete?
I'm afraid you are right, O will delete as it comes. But the problems doesn't stop there.
If a key you want to delete is a primary key for other rows the problem is the same.
maybe you should write a trigger before delete on ... for each row, in that you recursively delete all rows that depend on the row you want to delete.

> Thanks

HTH
> Dean

Andreas

--
wenn email, dann AndreasMosmann <bei> web <punkt> de