Re: How critical is RAC experience

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:36:42 GMT

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:29:50 -0700, maks interested us by writing:

> Hello,
>
> I come across many requirement that require DBA to have specific RAC
> experience. I would like to solicit input from the experts in this
> forum on following.
>
> 1) For Sr. DBA with solid fundamentals, how difficult/different is to
> handle/administer a RAC database?

Is this a Sr. *Oracle* DBA? (Sorry, but this is often assumed and I've seen very good Sr. non-Oracle DBAs fail horribly.)

Assuming solid ORACLE DBA experience, I echo Daniel's concern and comments. Without it, stay far away.

> 2) How confortable would you be to hire a good DBA who does not have
> RAC experience to handle your RAC databases?

Again, Daniel is right - the biggest issue is not RAC, it's the environment. Many solid DBAs do not have a deep understanding of OS, networking, file systems, and the like, and many SAs sluff the relevant details of those off as 'an Oracle issue and therefore the DBA's problem'. So without that knowledge, I'd would be very concerned.

At the very least, I'd strongly encourage you to look for hands-on RAC courses like those offered at http://www.psoug.org

/Hans

--
Hans Forbrich