Re: software version number datatype

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:18:56 +0100

HansF wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:36:55 +0100, D Rolfe interested us by writing:
>

>>Stay away from custom objects.

> Why?

Look at it in the context of the posters's question - If you accept that version numbers are actually more complicated than they look then bringing objects into the equation will probably only make things worse.

Modelling software version numbers strikes me as one of those problems which looks just fine for the first 5 minutes of whiteboard modelling and then turns into a bottomless pit of complexity when you encounter real world data. A solution which works perfectly for one manufacturer will fall apart when other makers products are brought into the picture.

Software product version numbers are not logical - they are partly determined by the marketing department......

All of the above is my humble opinion. If you believe different things then that's fine with me.

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland Received on Thu Apr 28 2005 - 03:18:56 CDT