Re: sqlnet connection

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:21:19 +0200

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:52:43 GMT, "berj" <awatchesinc_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:39:47 GMT, "berj" <awatchesinc_at_sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>first problem was solved. a firewall was blocking port 1521. I opened up
>>>that port and I can tnsping the database. But I am not able to get to the
>>>database via sqlplus.
>>
>> 'Not able to get to the database' assumes this group's members are
>> mind readers. Please post *exact error messages* *ALWAYS*.
>> If you don't want to do that, submit a TAR, OTS is paid for this sort
>> of queries.
>>

>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>Ooops, sorry, I've been dealing with it all day and overlooked it.
>
>Error is ORA-12535: Operation Timed Out.

12535 is firewall. As I posted centuries ago in this thread (and you obviously choose to ignore my post), sqlnet uses two ports by default, and as soon as Oracle spawns a process or a thread, communications are redirected to a random port. When you trace the connection you can see the error message cropping up right after the redirect. I also posted how to get around this issue. I'm not going to repost, as I already posted this more than once, and my posts have always been archived.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA