Re: sqlnet connection

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:00:15 -0500

"berj" <awatchesinc_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>> Well - I guess I should apologize a bit. Just a bit,
>>> for being so harsh, but the same thread runs in cdo.server,
>>> with about as much response; I got fed up, but should not
>>> have taken it out on bert in this way.
>>
>> That's why I thought it but didn't say it.
>>
>> The truth be told Bert was asking for help and yet refusing to
>> cooperate so I just decided to ignore him. Why is it so hard
>> for people to reach out to an offered hand when they are drowning?
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>
>first problem was solved. a firewall was blocking port 1521. I opened up
>that port and I can tnsping the database. But I am not able to get to the
>database via sqlplus.
>
>I tried to set CONNECT_TIMEOUT to 0 in listener.ora, but it did not help.
>
>I tried to set SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME to 0 in sqlnet.ora, but that did not help
>either.
>
>Below is my tnsnames.ora file.
>

>TESTBED =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = berjnew)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = testbed.world)
> )
> )
>

>berj

Opening a single port will not help...SqlNet and the listener use 1521 to make the initial connection..once the database instance is reached, the listener 'hands-off' the connection's communications to a random port for returning data/info to the client..

You need to read about configuring Oracle for use with firewalls... Try at
http://tahiti.oracle.com