Updating Relational Data with XML.

From: LineVoltageHalogen <tropicalfruitdrops_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2005 11:18:17 -0700

Greetings All, I have been tasked with determining if it is possible to update the relational data in our Oracle database using XML. The idea is to do mass updates to our database via .NET and C#. The goal is to have a stored proc that takes one argument (clob) which contains XML data that reflects the data after the update.

E.g)

SET @XmlData ='<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<UpdateCustomer>

  <RmCustomer RCusIdPK="1" RSiteIdPK="1000" RCusFName="Vincento">   </RmCustomer>
</UpdateCustomer>'

This simple XML would update the table RmCustomer, particularly the customer with RCusIdPK = 1. Regardless of what RCusFName is now we want it to be "Vincento." after the update.

Ideally this simple XML would be passed to a stored proc which would do all the work:

exec uspUpdateCust @XmlData

I know this is a broad question but if it is possible I would appreciate a jumping off point to get the proc written so that I can test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TFD Received on Tue Apr 26 2005 - 13:18:17 CDT