Re: Notes fields

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:31:29 -0700

GWood wrote:

> OK, I'll play sacrificial lamb.  I suspect you're right, Daniel, but don't
> know why. How would a single notes table be a bad solution for this need?
> I'm assuming the table would have attributes to differentiate note types,
> allow for multiples, etc.
> Regards
> Gary
> "DA Morgan" <> wrote in message

>>Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
>>>Ed Prochak ( wrote:
>>>: what does your lack of disc space have to do with this NOTES table?
>>>: (I suspect nothing).
>>>: If looking to Normalize the tables (you could creat views of the
>>>: denormalized ones later, if you are careful), then you might save some
>>>: space.
>>>I don't see how the notes are not normal.
>>I do.
>>>They aren't really attributes of the tables, and each row of a table may
>>>or may not have any notes associated with it.
>>Correct but that is not the reason I have a problem with it. Rather a
>>single "notes" table is the wrong solution if that is the issue.
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

I sacrifice you on the pillar of fire for top posting but not for the question.

Because as indicated by you or another poster earlier what I am generating is sparse data and it is quite possible that row 1 of some table must generate 1 note about topic A, 3 notes about topic C and 2 notes about topic R. And I have table that is tied by what foreign keys to their original rows in their original tables?

Basically what has been created is a filing system. If that is the choice then why not a file on the operating system?

The answer is none and thus it is totally non-relational. At least with the o/s file I have the leverage of a BFILE pointer.

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)