Migrating from Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle 9.2.0.6

From: Irudaya Raj <jirudayaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2005 02:28:47 -0700

Hello Everybody,
Am in process of migrating a couple of application currently being hosted on ONE instance on a NCR hardware. Its Oracle 7.3.4.

I have to move this entire set to Oracle9i.

I went through the respective schema definitions on the current instance and see a lot of Segment and Block utilization parameters used.
I plan to used 'Local Extent' management and 'Auto Segment Space' features on 9i. In that case the above parameters will not have any effect on the Database I suppose.

Now I want to know MORE on these:
a) Are my above assumptions right, I have a feeling that Oracle is more intelligent nowadays to automatically extend extents as needed and doing it manually can actually cause inefficient space usage. b) There are several batch processes running on the existing system and the same with eventually happen on the new one too. If there are any ROLLBACK segment related statements in these scripts will there create a problem in Oracle9i. I know that in Oracle 9i ROLLBACK is in form of UNDO tablespace and is managed by Oracle automatically.
c) Am planning to use Export/Import method to move data between these 2 boxes.

Are there anyother percautions I need to take care during this upgrade.

Thanks a lot for your time and HELP,
Raj. Received on Mon Apr 18 2005 - 04:28:47 CDT