Re: Problem building DBD::Oracle on 64 bit solaris

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:32:20 +0100

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:51:22 -0700, "Yuri Shtil" <yshtil_at_synopsys.com> wrote:

>I've tried to build this module using Oracle 10 for solaris 64 bit. The
>problem is that the perl I have is 32 bit, so it does not like 64 bit shared
>libraries. I could not find 32 bit libraries in the Oracle distribution.
>There are some, but not all. To be honest, I have not installed Oracle, I
>just perused the cpio file I downloaded and extracted files needed to build
>the module.
>I find it odd, that in order to build the module I need to install the whole
>thing. I only need to access a DB from the host in question, not use the DB
>on the host.

 Recent versions of DBD::Oracle (well - just the very latest - 1.16) can be built against the Oracle Instant Client (SDK version).

>Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to build 64 bit perl?

 Not sure - but there is a 32-bit Oracle Instant Client for Solaris.

 http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

 Given that there isn't a full Oracle installer for Solaris 32-bit this is probably the best bet.

 Search for "dbi-users" on Google or subscribe to; there have definitely been some posts on the mailing list on how to build against Instant Client - I don't recall if it works out-of-the-box yet.

--
Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool