Parsing: How Oracle determines two sql statements are same?

From: Googly <himigupta_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 13 Apr 2005 02:21:03 -0700

Hi
When a new SQL statement is encountered, Oracle uses Hashes algorithm to generate a hash value. OK so far.

Now if exactly the statement is reissued, how does Oracle know that its the same satement as before? Does it reparse it, generates the hash value and then know that this hash value already exists in the shared pool?

I want to know if the same sql statment is executed twice, is it parsed twice or only once? (We have a statement that is taking 30 seconds for parsing and hence want to know exactly how many times will this statement be parsed)?

I would appreciate if you copy your response to himigupta_at_yahoo.co.uk.nospam

Thanks in advace,
Himi Received on Wed Apr 13 2005 - 04:21:03 CDT