Re: Adding things after the fact

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:48:00 +0200

"Vince Laurent" <vincelaurent_at_REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:5prn51pr0l1i4t99bmfhjbuhvfenu43bii_at_4ax.com...
>I am currently running a few 9i databases and am interested AND
> finally have the time to fire up OEM. I also want to get RMAN going
> on some other DB's that I manage as well.
>
> What I was wondering is what is the best way to add the Oracle Agent
> to an already existing Oracle server? I didn't install the agent back
> when they were 8i and didn't add it when I moved them to 9i. Now that
> I have added the 9.2.0.x patch I probably need to patch a fresh agent
> install.
>
> So do I install the agent from 9.2.0 then re-apply just the patch for
> version 9.2.0.x (where is x is either 4 or 6 depending on the server
> in my environment I am working with).
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers...
> Vince
> p.s. They are all running on HP-UX 11i. They are either 9.2.0.6 or
> 9.2.0.4,

> Come race with us!
> http://www.mgpmrc.org

I've done this on AIX and installed the 9i agent in a separate ORACLE_HOME with a separate user account (in my case : oramon). This way you can install/upgrade/remove the agent independently of other Oracle software on the server. For example we have both Oracle db 8.1.7.4.0, Oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 and the Oracle Intelligent Agent 9.2.0.6.0. running on the same server with separate Oracle homes. The Enterprise Manager handles this well. Disadvantage is of course that you need additional diskspace to do an extra Oracle software installation (500 MB ?).

HTH
Matthias Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 15:48:00 CDT