Re: Adding things after the fact

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:26:21 GMT

Vince Laurent <vincelaurent_at_REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net> wrote in news:5prn51pr0l1i4t99bmfhjbuhvfenu43bii_at_4ax.com:

> I am currently running a few 9i databases and am interested AND
> finally have the time to fire up OEM. I also want to get RMAN going
> on some other DB's that I manage as well.
>
> What I was wondering is what is the best way to add the Oracle Agent
> to an already existing Oracle server? I didn't install the agent back
> when they were 8i and didn't add it when I moved them to 9i. Now that
> I have added the 9.2.0.x patch I probably need to patch a fresh agent
> install.
>
> So do I install the agent from 9.2.0 then re-apply just the patch for
> version 9.2.0.x (where is x is either 4 or 6 depending on the server
> in my environment I am working with).
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers...
> Vince
> p.s. They are all running on HP-UX 11i. They are either 9.2.0.6 or
> 9.2.0.4,

> Come race with us!
> http://www.mgpmrc.org

There's a metalink article on this but I don't have the doc # handy. Basically it says to create a separate oracle home just for the agent. Then create a symbolic link to the new agent's home directory, and use the symlink, not the real one, as the home for the agent. Should you ever upgrade the agent, you can just copy the appropriate files (*.q and maybe a few othes IIRC) and change where the symlink points. The idea behind this was to prevent you from having to reregister all your events and jobs after upgrading agents.

For example if you specified /product/agent9205 as the home directory when you installed it, do "cd /product ; ln -s agent9205 agent" before starting the agent, and set ORACLE_HOME to /product/agent prior to starting it. The easiest way to do this is probably to add a line to the oratab file for the agent (make sure field 3 is N since it's not really an instance you want to start), and run "export ORACLE_SID=AGENT ; . oraenv" prior to starting/stopping the agent. Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 14:26:21 CDT