Re: Selecting variables into functions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:39:59 -0700

dsolly_at_gmail.com wrote:

> If I have a function:
>
> select F_21_DAY_CALC(to_date('15-Dec-2004', 'dd-Mon-yyyy'), 'PETER',
> 21) from dual
>
> how can I change my variables to select from a temporary table instead?
> I.E.
>
> select F_21_DAY_CALC(select todate from temp), (select name from temp),
> (select number from temp) from dual
>
> TIA

What you are trying to do makes no sense. In Oracle you should NEVER use a temporary table. Strikes me your background is SQL Server and you are trying to Microsoftize Oracle which will fail.

My suspicion is that you want some kind of join: Inner or outer but it is impossible to tell from what you've written. If you just want to query temp (a keyword and a horrible table name even for a heap table) then why include DUAL at all?

BTW: Version is important.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington