Re: ORA 7.3 v 9.2 client conneection problems

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:56:14 +0200

Tig wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a need to connect to an Oracle 7.3.3.5 database. I have a user
> who successfully connects to it with her Oracle 7.3 client. I have an
> Oracle 9.2 client installed on my machine.

STOP reading... bzz, twink!
7.3.3 was a non-version anyway, and obsoleted long ago, in the previous century... I don't want to know what excuse you have, upgrade! At least to the last version 7.

Do you think a network component of 4 MAJOR versions later is compatible? Well it's not.

Apart from that - check your ports (you mention 1526 in the 7.3 environment - a remnant of SQL*Net V1, yet have 1521 specified) And next time, post the actual commands - you just yab something doesn't work, but we are not clearvoyant. TNSPING may fail to resolve the name when your sqlnet has a default domain - we don't know, as you don't tell us.

And don't get smart and start changing SID into SERVICE_NAME; Oracle 7.3 doesn't understand that.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel