NLS_LANG setting for 10G client v. 8.1.7 client?

From: Script Me <script_me_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2005 11:33:09 -0700

Help. [cross posted to www.servers.unix.*]

NOTE: the oracle client on my new webserver appears to be the 10G client. on the old, it is 8.1.7. the actual db server is 10G.

Problem: My dba is away and we are having a problem with user entered text that was cut and pasted from a word doc into a web form then submitted to webserver, and finally inserted into oracle table. All fine and well so far. On display some special extended characterset characters appear as ? like the emdash and single quotes. On apache 1.3.x we set the NLS_LANG like this:

SetEnv NLS_LANG american_america.WE8ISO8859P1

Recently we moved to apache 2 and set the same NLS_SETTING in Apache 2's httpd.conf like this:

SetEnv NLS_LANG american_america.WE8ISO8859P1

But the problem persists under Apache 2.

Is there some issue with SetEnv in apache 2 or am I missing a place where this variable needs to be set?

When i say print $_SERVER["NLS_LANG"] in php i get:

american_america.WE8ISO8859P1

So it appears to be set...

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 13:33:09 CDT