Re: Read Only Column

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:11:11 GMT

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:01:51 +0800, dd interested us by writing:

> Is there any way to define a column that is immutable in Oracle? i.e. once
> defined, its value is not supposed to be changed.

AFAIK, not declaratively.

However there are several ways to accomplishing this, using either triggers or 'row level security' using ORacle's VPD.

Personally I lean toward the VPD solution, as it allows you to define administrators or priv's users who have authority to change that (and inevitably there will need to some limited change capability to accomodate some error or ...)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com