Re: Running perl DBI in PLSQL on UNIX

From: <katiesoh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Apr 2005 08:01:12 -0800

The program does what I said in my initial post.

" I'm having trouble executing my perl DBI program in PLSQL. The perl program connects to an Oracle 9203 database, does some DML and DDL and then writes the output to STDOUT and a file. "

No, I do not need this nightmare. The program has been running on the production database server for years via a weekend cronjob. There is a requirement now to run it on demand. Ideally we would like to run all production scripts on the database server. Sure, whatever we are doing now in our Perl program, we can achieve the same result in PLSQL but we do not want to rewrite the job again. We want to reuse the code. I'm not concern if this is an efficient way of calling the perl program via PLSQL/Java stored proc.

Of course there are many ways to do what I want with the perl program. Rewrite in PLSQL, run the perl program via a cronjob on some other servers, use daemon/extproc, etc.... but I'm not looking at those alternatives.

Now, back to my original question, are there any restrictions or limitations with what I'm doing to do here? As I stated earlier, the java stored procedure works fine in PLSQL if I run simple command like /bin/ls or a simple perl script that does some printing to STDOUT but it always terminates at OPEN statements and subroutine calls. There is something I don't understand about how Perl DBI works when it is invoked via PLSQL/Java. Can someone shed some light? Has anyone done something similar?

thanks.

kat Received on Sat Apr 02 2005 - 10:01:12 CST