Re: Design Consideration for Number Column

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:21:14 +0200

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 18:11:18 +0800, "dd" <dd_at_dd.com> wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>
>But what is your rationale behind this decision? NUMBER and NUMBER(8,2) can
>both represents '489.49' . So why bother adding the constraint?

Because when you define the column as NUMBER, you can store 48.4956 whatever in your column. If however your design requires only 2 digit precision, you shouldn't allow more digits.

>Just like when programming java or C, we would use int or long for numeric
>values even as simple as a loop counter. We won't bother restricting the
>max value of our variable.
>
>Thx for any inpu

Please do NOT TOPPOST. Humans happen to read from top to bottom, not the other way around. Please also do NOT include the full response if you are not replying to the full response. You are wasting bandwith and annoying people.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA