Re: Not a valid month error

From: Karuna <mrinalini.sukumar_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 11:10:18 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2005 10:40:26 -0800, "Karuna" <mrinalini.sukumar_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When I try to do a select * from table; from sqlplus, the records
are
> >returned but at the end of the output, there's the error! - THE
ERROR
> >APPEARS AT THE END OF THE RESULTS.
> >This particular table has NO date columns at all. Although it does
have
> >columns of char type that appear to hold date values.
> >
> >Can someone explain this error in this situation?
>
> *Exact statement*, table definition and output and error messages
> please, also a version number should be included always.
> I have *never* seen this in more than 15 years, so you are probably
> doing something awfully wrong.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks for the reply.
Here's the table definition.
Table Name : Order
which has the following definition.
orderNo char(5)
orderdate char(6).

and the dates are inserted in the format "120190" etc where 12 is the month ad 01 is the day and 90 is the year. It has some records from 89 and the rest from 90. And the query is:(I think I gave the wrong query the previous time)

SELECT to_date(orderDate,'mm/dd/yy') from order;

It shows all the records till 89. and it gives the error ORA 1843:not a valid month and stops the execution I actually am doing my assignment and the table is created my instructor and I have to use the table. I can't change the table definition. I am using UNIX and don't know sql*plus vesrion. Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 13:10:18 CST