Re: How to begin with tuning of SQL statements

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:09:04 GMT

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:12:51 -0800, sam wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the response.I dont need the manual.I need the practical
> guidance if you can provide that.From where to begin and things to
> remember while doing that.
>
> sameer

Many books have been written about 'where to begin', and I couldn't even begin to summarize them. Perhaps people (much smarter than I) would do so.

Short of some descriptve information (are you using CBO, which database version, why are you tuning, what are you trying to tune, what access and authority do you have, etc.) anything else I could suggest here would be a stab in the dark.

I suggested the manual since I thought you wanted help on (using Oracle9i R2 doc references):

I guess I misunderstood, and for that I apologize.

(If you were interested in reading, I'd also recommend the manual "Performance Planning", specifically the chapter "Emergency Performance Techniques" might be more suitable. I've found that not reading may be a reason for possible performance issues.)

SO ...

Practical guidance: Upgrade to Oracle Database 10g and set it on Automatic Tuning. Or install the Enterprise Manager, set up the Tuning Pack, use the screen cams (otn > EM > Tutorials: Database Performance)

/Hans Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 05:09:04 CST