Re: xml import

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:18:28 GMT

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:19:58 +0200, Michael Wimmer wrote:

> Hi
>
> we are in the process of considering to migrate from MySQL to Oracle.
>
> One of the requirements for the near future is to import data via XML.
>
> Is there a possibility import this data directly into oracle from the
> XML file or stream? The XML structure could be adjusted to Oracles needs
> if necessary.

Yes it is possible and very practical using either file or data streaming.

You have not specified Oracle version, and there have been continuous improviements with Oracle's support of XML since 8i (8.1.x)

Some sources for information:

Oracle documentation (docs.oracle.com) has at least 3 manuals, including the XML API ref, XDK and Dev Duide;

TechNet (otn.oracle.com) has a complete section, including samples, under the Technology Cneter. Highly recommend reading the Tutorial!

Several serious books have been written about Oracle & XML, published by O'Reilly (oracle.oreilly.com) and Osborne (www.oraclepress.com) Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 04:18:28 CST