Re: No LIMIT command

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:42:23 GMT

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:47:09 +0000, Oliver Meister wrote:

> ah ok. was thinking LIMIT is standart SQL and it was one of the first
> things I was missing.

Such are the joys of 'vendor lock-in'.

Two ways to approach it:

  1. write for total neutrality, and work around many many things;
  2. embrace the differences and optimize for the platform.

In this case, I encourage 2) as Oracle has a very large number of things that can make your life easier, if you chose to [learn and] use them. At the same time, you might need to let go of other niceties such as LIMIT.

Such are the joys of intelligent, rather than rote-pattern, programming. I've found 2) makes one more versatile, and less religious.

(whether it was conscious or not, you had already chosen 2) for the others.)

/FGB Received on Thu Mar 24 2005 - 08:42:23 CST