Re: Help needed for Database Replication

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 23 Mar 2005 22:24:09 -0800

Anshul Seth (sethanshul_at_yahoo.com) wrote:
: Hi all,
: I am currently working over a J2EE application running on Weblogic 7.0
: SP2 Application Server, and having DB as Oracle 9.2.1.0.

: My client wants to setup a test environment which is in sync with the
: production, and remains so as frequently as possible, as the
: application is mission-critical.

: I searched for it, and read about Multi-Master Replication.

: Can somebody guide me on this, if you have used it.
: What are the risk factors, and roadblocks in implementing it?

: Also, will it serve my pupose?My requiremnt is one side replication,
: from production to test, and not vice versa.

: Is there any way to achieve this?

If you have one master database and you wish another database to have the same tables, then it should be quite simple to use replication.

replication 099, shown for a single table, (my syntax is wrong)

on the master database

        create snapshot log on THE_TABLE;

on the test database

        create user_db_link MYLINK -connection-parameters-

	create snapshot THE_TABLE
	-some more options go here-
	as
	select * from THE_TABLE_at_MYLINK;

I guess the biggest risk is that the master database has to do additional work - either recording all the changes to make the replication efficient, or copying the entire table each time.

The basic setup is pretty simple though.

--

This space not for rent.