Databse Link Works only in One Direction Except for Sys Schema

From: <bstover_at_norcalmutual.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2005 19:03:47 -0800

Hi All,

I'm not an affluent oracle dba. I've been hammering on this for a week, and I stll can't solve it. I'm hoping I can find some help here.

We have a VPN to from a local segement to a remote segment in PA. It is wide open temporarily for testing the problem. There are 2 UNIX boxes running Oracle on either end. HPUX 11. BoxA and BoxB. I can ping, ssh, tracert, from BoxA to BoxB and visa versa. There are no restrictions. I can do names resolution between the machines.

I can connect remotely ( (sqlplus username/passwd_at_dbname) from a command line, and use sql tools to connect to a remote database and perform queries. This works with both SQL Plus and SQL Navigator. This works from BoxA to BoxB and visa versa.

I can perform queries using a database link for views belonging to the sys schema and other views in the sys schema (select count(*) from user_objects_at_otherdbname). This works in both directions.

I can connectct by using the dbname or global naming convention: dbname or dbname.world.

HOWEVER, when I attempt to perform queries against regular tables, it works fine from BoxA to BoxB, but when attempted from BoxB to BoxA, the session hangs. We can see that the session is connected to BoxA, but no data is returned through the connection. I've tested the link, and it it's fine.

TNSNames entries match for both machines. Oracle 9.2 to 9.2.

I've checked bandwidth -- hardly any utilization. T3 on our end. T1 on their end.

Any ideas? Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Received on Wed Mar 23 2005 - 21:03:47 CST