Re: SQL - Select and filtering whereby a date is not null.

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 23 Mar 2005 10:05:10 -0800

kirtan.brain_at_gmail.com wrote:
: Hi,
: hope u're not misunderstanding '' (empty string) as null. Read this
: article for more info

: http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/articles/article_15.asp

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't quite understand how this relates to Oracle. In fact what you say and what the article says both appear to be wrong for oracle.

An empty string is NULL is oracle, and a DATE column gets a null value if you insert '' into it, or fails if NULLS are not allowed.

I glanced at other things on the site. They have an article about sending mail with perl - but the code has the usual security flaws involving addresses, and lots of examples of bad perl code in it as well.

So in conclusion - I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend you trust that site.

--

This space not for rent.