Re: Forcing use of an index

From: <casey.kirkpatrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2005 14:24:46 -0800

It seems there is probably more going on here - Based on what you've said so far, I'm thinking that your load_id is simply *not* an atomic value (and that your database is not in 1NF). For instance, you claim your users only search for numeric strings within the load_id... why is this? Could it be that this column *should* be split into a numeric part and a alphanumeric part (and subsequently treated as two separate columns)? I'd be very interested in hearing a business description of a varchar2 attribute about which users are only aware of small, numeric substrings... Received on Tue Mar 22 2005 - 16:24:46 CST