Re: Performance difference between Windows and Solaris 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:13:23 -0800

Putz Ronald wrote:

> Hy!
>
> We got the same datamodell on Solaris and on WindowsXP. But there is a mojor
> difference in the Performance. The database on Windows is much faster than
> the one on Solaris although the Solaris machine is a dual processor. The
> initialization parameters are also correct, I hope so (like db_block_size
> rtc.). Does anyone have the same problem or know what can be the reason of
> this performance lack?
>
> Solaris Version:
> Machine hardware: sun4u
> OS version: 5.9
> Processor type: sparc
> Hardware: SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250

Assuming the hardware is comparable ... not obvious at this point because surely they are not hitting the same disk array ... as Sybrand indicates we would need a lot of information to be of help.

  1. Have you run Explain Plan?
  2. Have you run StatsPack?
  3. Are statistics current? etc.

But your claim that "iniitialization parameters are also correct" is without meaning. Correct meaning valid or correct meaning that Cary Milsap personally signed off on them?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington