Re: RMAN vs EXP/IMP

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:42:36 -0800

Mike Cretan wrote:

> Hey, as a developer, I'd pick export every time.... There's nothing worse
> than having to recover an entire database if you just dropped one little
> table by mistake... ;-)
>
> Mike

Assuming 10g as I see no version number in this post ... I would definitely prefer RMAN. To paraphrase you ... "There's nothing worse than having to recover an entire table by mistake because you lost one little block."

Though in 10g the proper thing to do would just be to flashback to an SCN or point-in-time.

In 9i I would still use RMAN because your assumption about a single table restore not being possible is not valid.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington